FAQs regarding registration with AHPRA and coverage of the VAU’s Professional Indemnity Insurance for its members in NEPT

1. Do I need to register as a Paramedic if I am working as a PTO or ATA after graduating from my paramedicine degree?

According to AHPRA, a person must register as a paramedic if they: take or use the title of paramedic, or another sign or symbol that would indicate that they are a paramedic; claim to be registered under the National Law; or claim to be qualified to practice as a paramedic.

A person who does not meet these criteria but otherwise uses the knowledge and skills of a paramedic, does not need to be registered. Further information about AHPRA’s requirements for registration can be found in the Fact Sheet and Position Statement at the bottom of the following web page:

2. If I do register as a paramedic and I am a member of the VAU paying the PTO/ATA membership rate, am I covered by the VAU’s Professional Indemnity Insurance?

If you are paying VAU membership as a PTO or ATA at the reduced rate, you are not covered by the VAU’s Professional Indemnity Insurance policy. Only Paramedic members paying the higher rate are covered by the policy. The reason for this is to keep the cost of the policy down by not providing coverage for members who do not require indemnity insurance.

Therefore, if you are a Registered Paramedic and you are working in the NEPT private sector and you need to have PII to register, even if you are not working in a Paramedic role you will need to apply for membership as a Paramedic member, noting that there is a part time/casual rate as well.

3. After graduating from the paramedicine degree can I hold off registering as a paramedic and just do it when I apply for a job with Ambulance Victoria?

Yes, you can, but you need to be aware that if you do not apply to register as a paramedic after completing your degree for more than 2 years then there may be further requirements or you may not have any opportunity to register, as per AHPRA:

“Graduates of approved programs of study in paramedicine have two years to apply for registration after they complete their studies without having to satisfy the recency of practice registration standard.”

The information in this bulletin is general advice only. Each individual member is responsible for ensuring that they have complied with AHPRA’s requirements and hold professional indemnity insurance cover, if it is necessary to do so. If you require further advice about your individual situation, please contact the VAU.