On Sunday nightshift two members from Bairnsdale were exposed to hazardous chemicals when a spare Stryker Stretcher Battery expanded and leaked fumes into the ambulance cabin.

The battery (pictured) is obviously swollen well beyond its normal shape and size. The crew reports that the battery appeared normal at the beginning of shift.

Both members reported smelling a strong odour and became unwell after the exposure.

These batteries are Nickel Cadmium batteries which contain several harmful chemicals that can cause serious illness if exposed.


The VAU have raised this issue with AV this morning. An investigation is underway.

Members are advised to raise any concerns about Striker batteries with your HSR and AV management or private sector management straight away, especially if your battery appears swollen or expanded.

Members will be kept informed.

In Solidarity